Sunday, November 1, 2009

November 1, 1984

Today I turned 25. :) This weekend, I celebrated my birthday with my husband, my sister and her boyfriend, and my best friend and her husband/my good friend. Some birthday cards I was given wished me well, hoped for easy settling into our new home, acknowledged my fear of someone touching my elbow fat, a funny Obama joke about the redistribution of my birthday cake, a touching letter remembering 14 years of best-friendship, and one card even included cute poodle stickers for decorating future paper crafts.

For the simple fact that my birthday guests were driving either 4 hours round trip or 8 hours round trip to be with me on my birthday, I felt that I had no choice but to give in and make it an entire 25th birthday weekend. ;) A weekend trip was the only way to justify all their driving!

The celebrations began on Friday night when Chelsea and Andrew arrived a little before 8:00. They dropped off their bags in the guest bedroom and we all headed out for dinner at a local favorite, Blue Sky Grill, for $1 beers. I ordered some delicious fish while the three others enjoyed burgers and fries. Then, it was back to our house where we watched the movie Just Friends starring the hilarious Ryan Reynolds as a recovered fatty. After a little chatting once the movie ended, we called it a night.

Saturday morning I woke up and came out of the bedroom to walk Vespa to find Chelsea and Andrew watching a TV. After we got dressed, Chelsea and I headed out to shop for lunch food and baking ingredients (cupcake recipe to come!) at WalMart with EVERYONE ELSE IN MOULTRIE. Why did I wait to go grocery shopping at WalMart until Saturday morning? Honestly, I just wanted company! Sorry for stealing your Saturday morning, Chels!

By 1:00 Chelsea and I made it back to the house where the guys had prepped a new miniature charcoal grill and our burgers hit the heat. Our lunch of burgers, bratwursts, hotdogs, pasta salad, grilled zucchini, chips and dips, and baked beans was outta-this-world delish! Once lunch was finished, it was time to watch some college football. We watched plenty of games, and totally vegged out all afternoon in food comas. Some even took short naps in between quarters! Once it started getting dark, we had a few Trick-or-Treaters come by, and I really enjoyed letting them grab their own helping of candy from the bowl. Vespa loved greeting all the kids with enthusiastic barking and excessive tail wagging.

Carlton had made reservations for the six of us to eat at my favorite restaurant around here, in Thomasville, an Italian restaurant in the town's original train depot called Cafe Marebella. We dined on a delicious salad, fresh bread, pastas, chicken parmesan, and fish. Everyone was so happy with their meal, no one could wait to eat their leftovers! It was absolutely delicious. Once we had all finished eating, Carlton's sneaky little surprise pulled through and the hostess and our waiter presented me with a towering slice of divine chocolate cake. They sang a short chorus of Happy Birthday to You along with everyone at our table while the last couple in the restaurant looked on with smiles and sipped coffee. After we passed the cake around the table and everyone had had their fair share, we headed back to the house again to watch some TV. Carlton and I gave in and went to bed during the 7th inning stretch of the world series baseball game... I just couldn't hold my eyes open anymore after that delicious meal and dessert!

Sunday morning I woke up to walk Vespa and came out to a sleepy house. Kristen awoke soon after Vespa's business was finished, and we slipped out of the house to grab some milk and orange juice. When we got back, everyone was on the back deck soaking in the warm sun and enjoying the crisp fall morning air. Chelsea and Andrew had planned to make me a Birthday Breakfast, and I was pretty much banned from the kitchen except to refill my coffee cup... which I did about 4 times! (!!!!!!!!!!!!!FJDSIAOFWENAADF!!!!!!!!!!!!!) Breakfast was magnificent! Chelsea and Andrew treated us all to cinnamon-swirled French toast, scrambled eggs, and bacon. Everyone ate a little more lightly this morning, simply because that's pretty much all we had done all weekend!

After a bit more hanging out on the deck, Chelsea, Kristen, and I headed into the kitchen to start the baking. This was a bit of a gamble because it was a recipe I had just randomly decided on and pulled from MarthaStewart.com and the gamble really worked in my favor. I chose a Red Velvet Cake recipe with a Cream Cheese Frosting, and we made the batter into cupcakes. It all came out so divine, and I even have enough of the frosting to make a whole second batch of cupcakes! (The girls I work with are going to be so lucky this week.)

After inhaling our cupcakes on the deck so as to not make a sticky, crumby mess in the house, Chelsea and Andrew packed up and headed back home to Macon to get the rest of the day to themselves. Kristen and Scott stayed around and we watched the first half of Stranger Than Fiction starring Will Farrel and Maggie Gyllenhaal, a very cute little movie. After we grabbed a quick and light bite to eat at about 3:00, Kristen and Scott headed back to Cartersville while Carlton and I came back to the house and took a nap.

This was a perfect weekend shared with my most favorite people! Happy Birthday to me!!!


3 comments:

  1. My Saturday morning was perfect because I was with you! Thank you for letting us share your 25th birthday with you... I can't wait to come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good memories. I am missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Say whaaaaaat?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.