So, I've been working dilligently on one of my New Year's Resolutions more than the others... knitting more challenging projects. I'm actually working on two separate and totally different projects right now, and I'm getting a little bit overwhelmed with my Project #2!
Project #1 is a lavender colored baby blanket for a girl I work with. She's due February 18th and she's definitely about ready to pop! The baby girl's name has already been chosen for quite a long time: Lillianna, or Lilly for short. And Cynthia, the mommy-to-be, wants everything in lavender, green, and ivory... pretty appealing to my own taste! The pattern isn't as detailed as the webpage shows the finished blanket to be, but it did teach me a huge component of my other knitting adventure....
Project #2 is what has been so overwhelming! I have pretty much gone from "Scarf Queen" straight to knitting a lace pattern onto a sweater. What was I thinking?!? Why didn't I just start with a simple sweater and work on a detailed piece once I've mastered the first? I'm teaching myself increases, decreasese, yarn over for knit and purl stitches, knitting in-the-round on three separate areas (the sweater itself and each sleeve), I also learned a lot about the need and reasons for blocking... and the list goes on. I chose the sweater because I figured that, by the time I finish it, the weather will be warming back up here... the fibers making up the yarn are wool with a tiny bit of rayon, I think, so it's still going to be a warm sweater... but the short sleeves will make it more wearable. If it's cool outside, layer it over a long-sleeved t-shirt, or just wear a cami underneath otherwise. Plus, the puff sleeves are just cute, and a little unexpected. The lace detail, well, that's the biggest challenge. My eyes cross, my hands get clammy, I even hold my breath! Seriously! I even snap at Carlton: "Not now! On the lace section!" Poor, poor Hubs.
Lace detail:
What it should look like when just about finished:
Where I actually am in my endeavor:
I'm nervous about it the whole time I'm working on it, but once I stop, all I want to do is work on it some more. Hopefully it will turn out looking at least something like it's supposed to!
That is so amazing! I can't believe you are teaching yourself all of this. You are incredible!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks to youtube: Dorret Conway, and especially the Knit Witch!
ReplyDelete