I have been dealt a tall order: to create a pretty little lovable baby doll for two pretty little lovable girls, Katie Anne Jones and Addison Brown. And I am so excited!
On Thursday last week, I drove up to Cartersville and met up for my pre-doll consultation with the girls over tacos and burritos at Moe's. Lunch was DELISH! It was beyond great to catch up with these two busy girls and all their romping, walking, running, and playing around.
After lunch, we all scooted over to Hobby Lobby to check out the yarn selection. It was so much fun to watch each girl pick out her favorite colors for the baby doll clothes. I was also really surprised that each girl chose a skin color and hair color that matched her own--while Katie Anne insisted that her baby doll have porcelain skin tone and dark brown hair, Addison pointed out a more creamy skin tone and a caramel blonde yarn color for the baby doll's hair. How funny is that?
On Friday afternoon, my family took off for a vacation to North Carolina (see last blog post). While Kristen drove the whole 8 hours up and back, I was perfectly content to watch the cars drive past... or... KNIT! I started working on baby doll #1 on the trip, and since then, have started on baby doll #2. I am hoping to keep both baby dolls moving along at the same pace. Because right now, I could see these both being finished within a couple weeks of leisurely knitting in front of the tv at night after dinner!
*A little side note for both mommies: Keep in mind that the baby doll pattern I am working from calls for the doll's body to be knitted separately from her clothes, while her shoes are knitted directly in with the rest of her legs. While it's a great concept that the doll's clothes can be changed, customized, and coordinated with other accessories of the day, I was suddenly aware that the baby would be naked at some point. As a last-minute decision, and after a lengthy conversation weighing the pros and cons with my sister, I went with my gut feeling. Both dolls will come equipped with built-in undies, for top and bottom. In the end, I thought this was a good decision especially because of the stage Katie Anne is in, with potty training being such a success. Now she will have a baby doll who has big girl panties just like she does! Please, to both mommies: if you do not like this idea, if it seems too grown-up or if you're just not sure about it, let me know and I can take out the colored yarn (each doll's undies yarn matches her clothes) and replace it with the skin tone instead... it is just as simple as that. Maybe I am over analyzing it, but I just thought the dolls might want undies just like the big girls have. But that can definitely be changed without any trouble at all. Just let me know!
I love the undies idea! Does this mean the dolls will have a "bikini and shoes" look when they're "naked" (ie that's how their skin will be)? If so, that's great... Katie Anne would love that. But really, just do whatever's easiest and sounds best to you - we trust your knitting judgment.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all... 3:43 am? And second of all, yes the look will be a bikini and shoes when the doll doesn't have her clothes on. I'm glad you like the idea! I'll keep moving along then.
ReplyDeleteYEA PANTIES!! Addison will love the panties! When I am getting dressed she is most interested in mine and points and says "is that u dipeys"! She is going to be jazzed about getting to have her own big-girl panties someday. I say knit on my sister! We are sitting on our seats edge to welcome this new baby home!
ReplyDelete