Wednesday, July 1, 2009

To market, to market to use my fine bag!

Because it's depressing to even think of taking pictures of our little apartment yet, and because I can't bare to bore you with the details of unpacking, I'm choosing to write about something a little more fun and colorful.

Don't you dare think that just because I haven't posted any progress posts on my knitting projects that it's not on my mind! I've been dying to pull my knitting projects out of their packed boxes and get started on a new project.

For now, Toula has to be put on hold. Unfortunately, there are some kinks in the pattern that I've found, but I have no idea how to unkinkify them. I wrote the creator of the pattern and asked for her help in figuring everything out, but she hasn't gotten back with me for a couple months now. :( So, I'm recycling all of the yarn from Toula (yes, I will frown as she unravels) and creating a new project that will be far more useful than a sweater in the summertime.

Introducing... The Market Bag!


Here in Moultrie, we've got a great Farmers Market for the selection of fresh local fruits (cantaloupes! watermelons! peaches!), nuts (peanuts! pecans!), and vegetables (squash! zucchini! pumpkins!). For a mere $5, anyone with homegrown produce or sale-worthy crafts can rent a table and sell their goods. I'm seeing some early Saturday mornings in my future. Why not carry my own bags, ready to tote home all the fresh grillin' zucchini I can handle? (Mmmmmmm.) Who knows, maybe some day I'll dish out 5 whole dollars and rent my own table to sell the bags.... The Market Bag is a nice, comfortable size that can have a short handle or a shoulder strap. It's also nice and stretchy, so it'll expand to hold plenty of homegrown goodies (or, knitting projects!) without everything spilling over the open top.


Now, I'm not sure exactly how long this bag will take to finish, but I'm guessing that it won't take too long. Seems simple enough, no? Because I purchased seven or eight skeins of yarn to knit up Little Miss Toula, I should be able to finish 7-8 Market Bags! All the yarn is pure cotton (washable in case of any tomato explosions!). I should get three bags in a bright spring green, one creamy white, one bag in a poppy red, one bag in an on-the-blue-side-of-the-color periwinkle, and one bag in a lighter periwinkle color.


Getting started... now!


3 comments:

  1. LOVE the idea! Can't wait to see! And I will definitely be joining you for an early Saturday market run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the market bag. That would be a great one to sale. If you can get some fresh zucchini try this recipe. It is so good. If you are having lazy day, just use store bought spaghetti sauce (I like it just as well).
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Zucchini/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cindy! That looks soooooo tasty. I'll have to try that one out very soon... maybe while Carlton is away on this conference/business trip this week, since he's not a veggie eater. What a treat for me!

    ReplyDelete

Say whaaaaaat?

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.